This project is read-only.

Invalid Virtual Path

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM
Edited Jun 8, 2010 at 3:27 PM
A designer I am working with has not implemented flashvars but instead hangs parameters directly after the movie url. For instance:
/Flash/sustainability/sustainability.swf?xmldata=data.xml
Doing so results in an invalid virtual path. Is there a way around this?
Jun 9, 2010 at 10:52 AM
Edited Jun 10, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I'll see if I can duplicate the error and resolve it.

An issue has been logged for this item
http://gdnswfobject.codeplex.com/workitem/4621

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I don't know if this is still an issue or not as far as you are concerned.  I was able to pass xmldata as a flashvar.  I had incorrectly formatted it the first time around.  I don't know if get variables as part of the MovieURL is still a valid use case for you or not.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:31 PM
Edited Jun 10, 2010 at 5:32 PM

While I am glad you were able to solve your problem, I still consider it an issue. Ideally, variables would always be passed in to the movie using flashvars, but in some cases you may have to resort to query string variables.

One example I can think of (because it's happened) is where a movie is being used from several years ago and the movie was developed to obtain variables from the query string. The source .fla is no longer available, so you must make due with what you have.

It is a low priority issue, but I have a fix and it will be posted in the next few days. I'd also like to say, thank you for reporting the bug.

Cheers,
Grant